Sound Insulation Testing

Sound Insulation Testing from GC Reports

All the expertise you need to ensure your build complies fully with the building regulations Part E.

As all property development and construction professionals will know, Sound Testing is a key component in complying with Building Regulations.

At GC Reports, we provide a comprehensive and robust Sound Insulation Testing service, working with you and your team to ensure that your development, whatever the scale, meets exacting acoustic testing standards from the outset. It’s what we do.

Of course, adhering to Sound Insulation Testing Building Regulations isn’t just a Building Compliance prerequisite. It’s business critical too.

Testing should be carried out as early as possible to avoid issues that can potentially be more difficult and costly to resolve the more progressed the build is.

We’re a fully accredited Sound Insulation Test provider, so you can be assured that when you entrust your Acoustic Test to us, your build will meet all regulatory requirements from the outset, avoiding potentially detrimental build schedule delays.

We provide local expertise with national reach and we’re highly experienced in all aspects of Sound Insulation Testing, including:

  • Airborne Sound Insulation Testing, which tests insulation against sound that is transmitted through the air (for example, speech, television, or radio).
  • Impact Sound Insulation Testing, which tests how effectively insulation overcomes impacts on floor structure (for example, noise from footsteps).

Garmesh is always quick to respond to my calls and emails and everything is always booked in within a day or two. Having seen all the services GC Reports offer, I am always on the lookout for more opportunities to use their services and have recommended them to countless clients.

Want to speak to a real person about Sound Insulation Testing requirements for your commercial building project?


Or, complete our quick enquiry form and one of our team will get straight back to you.

FAQs about Sound Insulation Testing

Want to learn a bit more about Building Sound Testing before you get in touch?

You’re in the right place. Here’s answers to some of the commonly asked questions about all things Noise Testing and Sound Insulation related.

What Is Sound Insulation Testing?

Sound Insulation Testing (sometimes referred to as Acoustic Testing) measures and documents the sound outputted from a residential dwelling (taking into account noise emitted by peripheral sources, such as busy roads). It’s conducted to ensure acceptable levels of sound insulation is present throughout the dwelling, including party walls and floors.

How is Sound Insulation Testing conducted?

We use specialist sound insulation testing equipment to accurately measure and evaluate sound insulation. The general process for a sound test is very straightforward and doesn’t take long to complete, so disruption is kept to an absolute minimum. As a guide, if we are only testing Party walls the whole process takes approximately 1 hour to complete, per property. If we are testing Party Walls and Party Floors the process takes around 2 hours to complete.

How much Sound Insulation do I need?

We’d be happy to talk you through the minimum threshold to pass a Sound Insulation Test, but in summary: In accordance with Part E (Resistance to Sound) of Building Regulations, the minimum level of airborne sound resistance for dividing walls and floors between homes is 45dB (decibels) in new builds and 43dB in conversion projects. The minimum level of impact sound resistance for dividing floors is 62dB in new builds and 64dB in conversion projects.

Why is Sound Insulation important?

Acoustic Insulation absorbs sounds and vibrations, isolating them from areas surrounding the source. This is important, not least, because it stops the sound from travelling from one area to another and therefore prevents it from becoming a nuisance to people in the room, elsewhere in the building, or even in adjacent buildings.

How does a Sound Insulation Test work ?

In the case of an airborne test, we use a loudspeaker to generate white noise on one side of the partitioning wall, and a decibel meter on the other side to accurately measure how much sound is dampened by the sound insulation in the partition.

When do I need a Sound Insulation Test Report?

A Sound Insulation Test Report is a regulatory requirement for all new build or converted dwellings that have partitioning walls or floors. It’s driven by the Approved Document Part E of the Building Regulations, stipulating residential buildings must be designed and constructed in such a way that they provide reasonable resistance to sound from other parts of the same building and from adjoining buildings.

What should I look for when choosing a Sound Insulation Testing provider?

As with all specialist services offered in the Building Compliance sector, choosing an accredited and reputable provider to carry out Sound Insulation Testing/Acoustic Testing is the key to receiving an efficient and professional result. With over a decade of experience in the field, GC Reports is the Sound Testing and SAP Calculations provider of choice for many architects, property developers and homeowners in the UK.